Wear House: Esther’s Chat With Aarinola Okusi of ‘Okusi Crafts’, A Bag Making Business Enterprise.



Arinola’s bags are really cute and of good quality. Plus they are handmade.  Lets view samples even as we meet the skillful lady and business woman.


Hand Made bag by Okusi Craft



Esther (ED): How did you get into Bag Making?


Arinola (Okusi Craft): It wasn’t something I planned to do. It was an accident. I started out by selling bags for my mom after my NYSC.  I decided to try my hands on bag making. I’ve always had this penchant for arts and craft. I make hair, clothes, and jewelry. I got some information on how to make ankara bags initially but I couldn’t derive much from the tips I got.  Eventually, I found my way around it, made mistakes over and over and I kept on to it. Now I am better. 
Okusi Craft


Esther (ED): I understand you are a gifted person. I remember you telling me earlier about your family and craft making. Your company is called Okusi Craft, first word same as your surname. Do tell us about that.


Arinola (Okusi Craft): My brand name is coined out of my surname ‘Okusi’. It’s an abbreviation of a very long name in  ijebu dialect ‘Okuewisi’ which means creativity and ingenuity will not die in the family.  My forbearers were into coral bead making for the royal family.  When one of my forefathers saw the trend in the family, he coined out the name and declared that “the craft will not die in the family”. This has proven true because every member of my own immediate family is into one form of craft of the other
Bags by Okusi Craft

Esther (ED): When did you start making things?

Arinola (Okusi Craft): I started making bags not too long but I started making things since I was in primary school. I’ve always been interested in hair making and beads making. I started by amending my school uniform, making clothes for my Barbie doll, making my own hair and making my mom’s hair. I had an aunt who was a fashion designer so I took advantage of that too. I also used to make my own clothes – purely handmade, no machine used. This was because when other tailors make my clothes, I am not usually fully satisfied. The problem is always with either the finishing or the entire piece. Same goes for my hair. I’ve always had that ‘Do It Yourself’ attitude.
Bag by Okusi Craft


Esther (ED): How has the business of bag making being for you?


Arinola (Okusi Craft): Like I said I started by making things for myself and I never really thought about making for commercial reasons. Now that I make for other people, I have to do all that’s necessary to please my customers. I have to deliver on deadline. I bend over backwards to satisfy my clients many times and that’s the business. When talking about fashion, I think utility and aesthetics. It has to be beautiful. I like to make something people would see and admire. I also think durability. I would like customers to get their money’s worth so I make efforts to do something beautiful and will last for a long time.

I do compromise sometimes. I mean, I put more into a bag far more than what was paid.

My bags are handmade. I don’t use machines. I go out of the way to make good bags so as to satisfy my clients. I could spend more time and energy on making a bag and could be more than what was charged for it.
Happy Customer carrying an Okusi Craft Handmade bag

Esther (ED): How is the marketing aspect for you? How do you sell yourself and your products?

Arinola (Okusi Craft): I read some marketing too. There’s something called sneezers. Sometimes all you need is just 2 0r 3 persons who would help spread the word and start a chain for you. For me I have lots of sneezers who influence other people to become buyers. I believe your product will speak for itself. When you make and wear something beautiful, they will admire and approach you to find out where you got it from.

Bag by Okusi Craft

Esther (ED): Please address people who love to do handcraft like you do and would want to go into the business; and
Those who just want to learn a craft like bag making just because they want to be busy and they really intend to make lots of money off this skill.


Arinola (Okusi Craft): I believe you shouldn’t do things because that is the trend. It could ruin the market for other people. There are many businesses that are not well exploited. I really like to thread unbeaten tracks.  It is better to look into a not so flooded business line. I remember when I wanted to start bag making, I decided not to do the popular ankara bag making but to use suede and leather instead. I do ankara prints too but I decided to major in leather bag making. I believe there are places that an Ankara bag would not really be accepted that a leather bag would be. I am not downplaying an Ankara bag, I love them.  I just prefer to be a trail blazer. 

Okusi Craft

Go for your calling.  Find your identity and never trade your identity. Whatever it is you love to do, stick to it and get some training on it. No matter how crowded the industry is, you can do your thing differently. It is not just about being a graduate, it is also good to learn and have a skill too. I really wanted to work in an advert company and be a copy writer but here I am into the business of bag making.  I love making bags and I am not ashamed of being an artisan. 



 
Profile:
Arinola Okusi is a graduate of English Arts from the University of Lagos. She is a business woman and the Creative head of Okusi Craft. Arin is very good with her hands. She makes bags, beads and shoes.



She loves to sing (she does have a very lovely voice), loves fashion and to loves to learn. She is currently a student at the alliance francaise, Lagos. 
Contact: 07035174086



No comments

Powered by Blogger.