The Verge: Alaba Onajin (Comic Book Artist/Illustrator)







NAME: Alaba Onajin


CAREER:  Comic Book Artist and Illustrator


PROFILE IN BRIEF: 

I am a graphic novel artist and have been working professionally since 2005.  I have a certificate in Freelance Cartooning and Illustration and was born, raised and currently living in Ondo State, Nigeria.



HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN DOING THIS?

For as long as I can remember...since I could hold a pen I guess)


OTHER INTEREST/SKILL

I love cooking, not that I’m any good at it though.  I also love to write


AGE:  36


WHAT HAS IT BEEN LIKE AS AN ILLUSTRATOR? WHAT ARE THE CHALLENGES YOU COME ACROSS IN THIS CAREER LINE?

Fulfilling a career in art or illustration in this part of the world can be extremely frustrating. There is little support or encouragement for anyone going into this, so it can be totally discouraging. But things are changing. It’s good to see a lot believing in what we (artists) do so there is light at the tunnel after all.  Hopefully the market for comic artists will continue to expand


A MAJOR POINT SO FAR IN YOUR CAREER

I would say it was when I got an email from UNESCO asking me to participate in an African history project as an illustrator.  It was more than a dream come true.


CURRENT GOAL:

Currently, I’m working on producing a series of graphic novels on a young school girl. I’m working in collaboration with a publishing house in France.



ASPIRATIONS/FUTURE PLANS: 

I would someday hope to have my work translated into film. I think that’s the pinnacle of every comic artist  aspirations.


PROJECTS:

I worked on an autobiographical comic book focusing on the political life of the late Mrs Funmilayo Ransome Kuti and Empress Taytu Betul of Ethiopia, as part of The Role of Women In African History Project, organized by UNESCO.




ANY ROLE MODEL OR INDIVIDUAL YOU ADMIRE IN YOUR CAREER FIELD?

I admire every comic artist in Nigeria.  These people are doing fantastic work!


CONTACT: atioroandjeje@gmail.com


3 comments

spirits within said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
spirits within said...

Lovely interview! Good one bro! Like you so aptly put it, things in the writing and comic book world are rapidly changing. Our best days are ahead :)

Anonymous said...

Word, Ma brother from another Mother... Nice Interview... You are right, the world needs to know about the revolution change and growth in writers, and comic book. Thumbs up...

Powered by Blogger.